Remitly has a mission - to make life easier for immigrants sending money home to those they love. Remitly's founders want to help encourage upward mobility by making remittances cheaper and more accessible, and allow payments from 17 countries, to around 100 countries globally.
If you're interested in using Remitly's remittance services, check out this full Remitly review, including fees, payment options, whether it's safe to use, and how to register and use your account.
Remitly: Key points
- Send payments from 17 countries, on 100 popular remittance routes
- Payments available for bank transfer, cash collection, mobile money transfer and home delivery - options vary by destination country
- Choose a fast express service for a higher fee, or a cheaper Economy service if you're not in a rush
- Available online and via apps for both Apple and Android phones
- Founded in 2011, based in Seattle, with offices around the world
- Active customer base of 2.1 million people
- Customer service is available in 14 languages
- Member of Pledge 1% - corporate philanthropy movement
- Extensive coverage across popular remittance routes
- Choose different payment options - Express and Economy - and a range of payout options including bank transfers and cash collection
- Multiple payment methods supported
- Easy to use online and with the Remitly app
- Customer support 24/7, in 14 languages
- Fully FCA regulated in the UK, Remitly is a safe and reliable provider
- May not be the cheapest available option for bank transfer payments
- Exchange rates may include a markup on the mid-market rate
- Not all payout methods are available in all areas
Remitly is a mission driven business which aims to help immigrants who have moved away from home to seek better opportunities. It's a mobile first service, which means the apps are easy to use when sending payments. Because Remitly really knows its customer base it offers many useful and targeted features, including currency and country coverage, varied transfer delivery options, and a choice of transfer fees. Remitly is definitely worth considering if you're sending money to one of their supported payment routes for cash collection or home delivery.
Remitly was founded in 2011 with a mission to make remittance payments faster and cheaper for immigrants living overseas and sending money home.
From the UK you can send payments to a broad range of countries and currencies. However, as the services on offer vary based on destination country you'll need to check the full details for your payment before getting started.
International remittances to bank accounts
Sending money direct to a recipient's bank account can be the most convenient option for some people. Simply set up the payment online or in the mobile app and the money will arrive in the recipient's normal bank account. There's no need for your recipient to have a Remitly account themselves.
Great for: sending money conveniently to a bank account based in one of Remitly's supported countries.
International remittances for cash collection or delivery
In some destination countries you can select cash collection or home delivery as payout options. When your recipient gets money for cash collection they'll simply need to visit an agent near them and show their ID documents, to get the payment in cash. This can be a fast option when you send using the Express service.
In some countries it's possible to get payments delivered in cash to the recipient's home. This takes longer but can be more convenient in some cases.
Great for: sending money to people who do not have easy access to a bank account. Cash can be made available quickly wherever it's needed.
International remittances to mobile money accounts
If your recipient has a mobile money account, it might be possible to send them money with just their phone number. This delivery method isn't available in all countries.
Great for: sending fast payments to recipients who use mobile money accounts.
How does Remitly work?
You can send payments with Remitly from 17 larger developed countries to over 100 countries around the world. Payment routes have been selected to support people sending money on common remittance routes.
Where you can send money to will depend a little on where in the world you are - and the payout options also vary by destination country.
Remitly payments can be delivered to a recipient bank or mobile money account, or collected in cash from an agent location locally. In a few destination countries you can also have money sent for cash home delivery.
Is Remitly safe?
Remitly is a registered business in England and Wales, and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority as a payment provider. That means Remitly complies with all relevant regulations to keep customer money safe. Read more about Remitly safety here.
Remitly has different pricing structures and options depending on the country you're sending money to.
You'll usually find there will be a flat fee based on whether you select a fast Express payment or the cheaper Economy option.
You may also find that you can choose to send payments in different currencies to your destination. For example, if you need to send money to someone in Vietnam you could choose to have it delivered in VND or USD. Fees may vary according to the currency you'd rather use.
To see which options you have for your destination, you can start to set up your payment on Remitly's app or desktop site.
Remitly exchange rate
Remitly offers a competitive exchange rate which varies by destination country. You'll see the rates on offer when you select the country and currency you're sending to.
Exchange rates may include a markup on the mid-market rate. Promotional offers and rates apply from time to time.
How long does Remitly take
You'll see your payment options when you start to set up your Remitly transfer, and will also be able to see how long different payment types take. Often there's the choice of an Economy or Express payment.
Economy payments are funded by bank transfers, and usually cheaper - but can take several days. Express payments are paid for using a bank card, and usually faster but more expensive.
- Express and Economy payment options, depending on whether speed or transfer cost is more important
- Payout options including bank transfers and cash collection
- Easy to use online and with the Remitly app
- Customer support 24/7, in 14 languages
- Fully FCA regulated in the UK
- Price may be cheaper alternatives for bank transfer payments
- Exchange rates may include a markup on the mid-market rate
- Payout methods vary by destination country
- Availability limited in some major countries
How to use Remitly
Once you have an account registered with Remitly you can make a transfer by taking the following steps:
- Sign in on the webpage or open the Remitly app
- Select Get started or Send money
- Enter the amount you want to send and the delivery method
- Add recipient information - bank account details for a bank transfer, or name and personal details for cash pickup
- Complete your profile, adding your name and personal details
- Connect your preferred payment method - bank account or card
- Review, and when you're ready, hit Send money
- You'll see a confirmation screen once the payment is finalised
You can pay for transfers with Remitly by:
- Bank transfer for Economy payments
- Credit or debit card for Express payments
Payout methods depend on where you're sending money to, but usually include:
- Bank transfer
- Cash pickup at a local agent
- Mobile money
- Home delivery
How to create an account
Creating an account with Remitly is simple and can be done on the desktop site or within the Remitly app.
To join on the desktop site:
- Select Join Now
- Enter your email address and password
- Select Join
To use the app:
- Download the Remitly app
- Enter the country you're Sending from, where you're Sending to
- Tap Next
- Enter your email address
- Enter a password
- Select Join Remitly
You may be able to start sending transfers right away, depending on the value and destination of payments. Or you might be asked to provide identity documents to upgrade your account to a different tier - more on that next.
What documents you'll need
The documents you need for verification will depend on the account tier you want to access. Different account tiers have different sending limits - we'll cover them a little later - but you can upgrade at any time by providing more information and documents. Here's the lowdown;
To open a tier 1 account you'll need:
- Your full name
- Your residential address
- Your date of birth
- Your reason for sending funds
To open a tier 2 account you'll need:
- Tier 1 information
- A copy of your government issued photo ID
- Further information on how you'll use the service - how often and where you'll transfer money to, for example
- Proof of transaction funding (this may be a bank statement or payslip for example)
Tier 3 accounts will require all of the above, and customers may also be asked for additional documents like proof of address and income. The Remitly customer service team will guide you through the verification process as needed.
When submitting documents you'll need one primary document or two secondary documents which show your full name, address and date of birth. Acceptable documents include:
Primary documents: Passport, visa or residence card - along with a document showing your address like a driving license or national identity card. If you submit a primary document which includes your address you may not need to provide a secondary document.
Secondary documents: Utility bill in your name, bank, credit card or mortgage statement.
How long does verification take?
If your account can be verified electronically it should be available within 48 hours. If you're required to send in extra documents you'll be notified within 48 hours, and will receive an update on the processing time once documents are submitted.
How much you can send with Remitly will depend on your account tier. You can increase your account tier by providing additional information and documents for verification. Further limits may also apply based on your destination country and payout method.
Here are the limits which apply by tier:
|Tier/Time period||Tier 1||Tier 2||Tier 3|
|24 hours||5,000 GBP||25,000 GBP||25,000 GBP|
|30 days||15,000 GBP||25,000 GBP||25,000 GBP|
|180 days||50,000 GBP||75,000 GBP||150,000 GBP|
Remitly supports payments to around 90 countries from the UK. In some countries it's possible to send payments for receipt in more than one currency.
Remitly regularly updates the countries and currencies available - check here for the most up to date available information.
Remitly scores an average of 4.2 stars on Trustpilot, from a total of over 33,000 listed reviews at the time of writing. That's a Great rating.
Happy customers focus on how quick and easy it is to send money with Remitly. Here are a few comments made by Remitly users:
"Absolutely awesome, quick, easy and effortless way to send money...I recommend Remitly to everyone I know"
"The process is very simple and fast. The app is very simple to use and the customer service is excellent as well. I am very happy using Remitly."
While a pretty impressive 83% of reviews at the time of research gave the highest possible Trustpilot score, naturally there are also some which are not so positive. 8% of reviewers gave the lowest available Bad score, mainly due to payment issues and delays. However, Remitly's responses on Trustpilot are up to date, suggesting that problems which do show up are then picked up by the customer care team.
Use Remitly via the desktop site, or download the Remitly app on Apple and Android phones. You can also access 24/7 customer support, which is offered in 14 languages.
Remitly customer service
Remitly has a 24/7 customer support service, and can offer 14 different languages. You can call or get chat support - here's what you need to know.
|Customer support channel||Remitly availability|
|Phone support||0808 169 2816|
|Chat support||In app and via the desktop site|
- Wise - if you're sending a payment to a bank account directly, Wise may offer a better exchange rate compared to Remitly. You can also open an online multi-currency account for simple payments around the world. However, cash collections and deliveries are not available.
- Western Union
- Western Union offers similar pay out as Remitly, making it a good provider to compare against Remitly for your specific transfer. With Western Union you can also pay in cash via an agent, which is a service not available through Remitly.
- PayPal or Xoom - send instant payments at home and abroad - convenient and quick, but not always the cheapest. With PayPal your recipient will also need to set up an account to get their money.
- Revolut - if you're interested in opening an online account which lets you hold multiple currencies, and also offers saving and investment features, Revolut is worth checking out. Basic accounts are free, but you'll pay a monthly fee for more advanced options.
Remitly is pretty clear on who their key customers are, and what their needs are likely to be. If you're remitting money home from one of the 17 send countries, Remitly offers a convenient service. The fact you can send payments for cash collection or home delivery is also a differentiator - not all international payment providers can offer that option.
Remitly may not be the cheapest service available if you want to transfer money to a bank account directly - but their range of payout options makes them a service worth checking out and comparing with other alternative providers.
Remitly fees vary by destination and may include an exchange rate margin as well as a transfer fee. You can often choose to pay more for a faster transfer, or opt for a cheaper payment which takes a little longer.
Remitly transfers are often offered on either an Express or Economy basis. Express payments are usually more expensive - but faster, while Economy transfers are a cheaper option which can take longer.
Remitly is safe. The company is regulated by the FCA in the UK, like most other international transfer providers.
You’ll see the available exchange rate for your currency and transfer type when you set up the payment. The exchange rate may include a margin.
Get the Remitly app on both Apple and Android phones.
Remitly offers international remittances from 17 large, developed countries on popular currency routes. Payments can be made to a range of countries - usually delivered as bank transfers or for cash pickup.
The currencies available depend on where you are, and the country you’re sending to. You can send on select payment routes from the UK with around 90 countries covered.